Monday, May 7, 2012

My Thoughts On "Heaven Is For Real"

Source:  Goodreads



From the back cover...
When Colton Burpo made it through emergency appendectomy, his family was overjoyed at his miraculous survival.  Whay they weren't expecting, though, was the story that emerged in the months that followed--a story as beautiful as it was extaordinary, detailing their little boy's trip to heaven and back.


________________________________________________ 



I'd say most people that know me at all know that I love to read, so I get lots of book recommendations.  This is a very good thing because I hear about loads of books that I never would have otherwise.  I am always thankful for book recommendations, so if you are reading this and recently read a great book, please leave me a comment and let me know.  Having said that, lots of different people have recommended Heaven Is For Real...other mom's at the ballpark, friends on facebook, and lots of folks on Goodreads have loved this book.  Since I' m reading memoirs in the month of May, I thought this would be the perfect time to read it.

It isn't pleasant to read about the illness of a small child or the agony his parents felt in those moments of hopelessness.  It's every parent's greatest fear.  There is a happy ending though, and what comes from that illness is amazing.  The story that Colton tells is one that a lot of people wonder about.  What will heaven be like?  Will my loved ones know me there?  What does Jesus look like?  How do I get there?  These are all questions Colton says he knows the answers to because he's been there.  What an amazing story!  Every now and then a book comes along that just makes you feel good.  This in one of those books!

In the book, Colton's dad talks about a little girl prodigy whose gift is art.  Akiane says her talent and ispiration comes directly from God, and she painted a portrait of Jesus that Colton says is correct.  She is self taught and truly gifted...no doubt her ability to paint is a gift from God.  You can visit Akiane's website by clicking HERE.  No matter what your beliefs, go look at her work.  It is truly amazing!



Check out this video I found on Youtube about Akiane.



2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I read it. I'd been meaning to for a while. It's a quick read too. Hope you like it.

      Delete