Saturday, July 30, 2011

I Read "Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates

Source:  www.goodreads.com

Richard Yates
2/3/1926-11/7/1992
Source:  www.goodreads.com

I must admit that I read this book after seeing the preview for the movie version starring Leonardo Dicaprio and Kate Winslet.  I knew I was going to see the movie because I'm a huge Titanic fan.  The chance to see them together again was too good to pass up.  Plus I think Kate Winslet is one of the best actresses of all time.  If I know that a movie is based on a book, I always try to read it before I see the movie.  So I read Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.

Frank and April Wheeler seem to have the perfect life: a good marriage, two children, Frank's good job, and a cute little house in the suburbs. However, all is not as it seems. Their life is full of arguments, boredom, and restlessness. Frank feels he's in a dead end job, and April feels trapped as a homemaker. In a desperate attempt to save their marriage, they make some life changing plans, but something totally unexpected forces them to make some life changing decisions.

Although I did enjoy reading this book, I can't say that I liked either Frank or April. They are both selfish and cold. I don't know if they could have ever been happy.

As I mentioned above there is a movie version of this book that was pretty good starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, but don't watch it expecting a "Titanic type" live story. The characters they play don't allow it.

Revolutionary Road Movie Poster
Source:  www.imdb.com


4 comments:

  1. i read it after u did. actually u are the one who told me about it. was a decent book. i have to say i enjoyed the movie better. but i love leo and kate. i didnt like frank or april either. u are right, they wouldnt have been happy any where. i tend to love the books that make me love the characters. i'm pretty sure thats how u feel about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got this one on my to-read list, but I've not been ready for the depression that I think I'll feel reading it ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison--You are right. It's definitely not a feel good book. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth-It's true that in all the books that I adore I have loved atleast one of the characters in the book...Anne for example, or the March girls in Little Women, or Laura from Little House.

    ReplyDelete