Sunday, June 12, 2011

I Thought the Cover Looked Interesting

Booklist 41-50
41. Daughter of Fortune by Isabell Allende
42.The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
43.The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles
44.Answered Prayers by Danielle Steele
45.One Door Away From Heaven by Dean Koontz
46.Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
47.The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynold
48.The Ultimate Weight Solution by Dr. Phil McGraw
49.King Soloman's Mine by Rider Haggard
50.Allan Quatermain by Rider Haggard

Number 49 and 50 are books that I read knowing absolutely nothing about them.  I had never heard of the books and only vaguely heard of the writer.  I came across King Solomans's Mines in a used bookstore in Henderson, KY.  It looked interesting so I purchased it.  I believe I paid 10 cents.  I really liked King Soloman's Mines,  so when I discovered that there was a sequel, I looked around until I found Allan Quatermain.  I really liked both books.  They say  you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I have read many many books because I thought the cover looked interesting.  They aren't always great, but sometimes like in the case of the two Rider Haggard books above, you luck up and find something you realy like.  I not only found a book I liked, but I discovered that I'm a huge fan of the lost world genre



The author of both books, Rider Haggard, is known as the father of the lost world genre in literature.  If you liked the book or the movie, "Journey to the Center of the Earth", then you would like #49 and # 50.  Rider Haggard was born on June 22, 1856 in Norfolk, England.    He died in a nursing home in London on May 14, 1995.


Rider Haggard's other works are listed here:


No comments:

Post a Comment