Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Books Are So Much Better

Booklist 71-80

71.Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
72.Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
73.On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
74.By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder
75.The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
76.Young Pioneers by Rose Wilder Lane
77.Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell  (2/14/07)
78.Little Town on the Prairie Laura Ingalls Wilder
79.The Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder
80.The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I am 34 years old.  I have a laptop and an Iphone.  I love my dishwasher, my washing machine and dryer, but I am absolutely in love with The Little House Series and most anything written by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I never read these books as I child.  I mean I've always liked the television show, Little House on the Prairie, but having read the books I can say that it is only loosely based on the books.  The books are so much better!

I'm in love with that time period.  Pioneers, prairies, the Civil War, and the old west fascinate me.  I know that Wilder's writings are a romanticized version of her life.  I get it.  I know life was hard back then, and maybe if I had to work like a dog sun up to sundown just to survive I might not like it so much.  But it's the simplicity of life back then that draws me in.  I admire the hard work, resilience, integrity, and bravery of people in this time period.  They appreciated the little things in life, and it took so little to make them happy.

Little House Series
Source:  http://www.amazon.com/

Carrie, Mary, and Laura Ingalls
Source: http://www.pamelasmithhill.com/

Laura Ingalls Wilder didn't write the Little House books until later in her life.  She wrote the books from her little study at a roll top desk on her farm in Mansfield, Missouri.  At the time she and Almonzo were living in the "rock house" which their daughter, Rose, had built for them.  They eventually moved back to their farm house later deciding they liked it better.


Laura Ingalls Wilder
Source:  http://www.the-spearhead.com/
The Rock House on Rocky Ridge Farm.
This is the house where Laura began writing the books.
Source:  My photo


Grave of Laura Ingalls Wilder and Almonzo Wilder in Mansfield, Missouri
Source:  My photo

1 comment:

  1. I thought that trip would have been boring, but it was rather interesting!

    ReplyDelete