Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Louisa May Alcott: Writer, Feminist, Abolitionist

Book list 171-180
171.Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
172.Oh My Stars by Lorna Landvik  (6/9/2010)
173.Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks
174.Devine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells
175.The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Neffenegger  (11/1/2010)
176.Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
177.Sounder by William H. Armstrong
178.Little Women by Louisa May Alcott  (1/16/2011)
179.Little Men by Louisa May Alcott  (1/21/2011)
180.Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott  (1/26/2011)

I had seen the movie, "Little Women", years ago and loved it.  I have owned a hardback copy of the book for even longer.  I'd say I've had it for fifteen years, yet I had never read it until this year.  I don't know why really.  My reading list is forever long and always growing, and I guess there was just always something else to read.  Why after fifteen years did I decide to read it this year?  The answer is very simple--my sister read it.  I am very lucky to have a sister who loves books as much as I do.  I can't tell you how many books I've read at her suggestion, and Little Women happens to be one of them.  I'm glad I finally got around to reading it, not only because I love the book, but because it opened the door to a new author that I truly enjoy.

Numbers 178, 179, and 180 on this portion of the list are all Louisa May Alcott books.  This series of books about the March family is one of my favorites of all time.  It's right up there with The Little House and Anne of Green Gables series.


Louisa May Alcott
Source:  www.wikipedia.org

Source:  www.vonniesbooks.blogspot.com

Source:  www.coverbrowser.com

Source:  www.openlibrary.com

Louisa May Alcott was born on November 29, 1832 in Germantown, Pennsylvania.   She was the second of four girls and a tomboy.  Her sisters were Anna, Elizabeth, and May.  Her mother's name was Abigail, and she was educated mostly by her father, Bronson Alcott, who was a noted transcendentalist.  Some of her father's friends were fellow transcendentalists Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Margaret Fuller.  Bronson Alcott along with a friend, founded a commune named Fruitlands.  It was a 90 acre farm with a run down house and barn.  No animal power was used in the growing of their food, they ate no animal substance, drank only water, took cold baths, and used no artificial light.  It lasted seven months.  Louisa May Alcott's book, Wild Oats, is about her time at Fruitlands.

According to Dictionary.com, transcendentalism is...
"A movement in nineteenth-century American literature and thought. It called on people to view the objects in the world as small versions of the whole universe and to trust their individual intuitions. The two most noted American transcendentalists were Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau."
(Source: {http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/transcendentalist})

Bronson Alcott
Source:  www.wikipedia.org

You can learn more about Louisa May Alcott and her father in the book Eden's Outcasts: The Story of Louisa May Alcott and her Father.  I haven't read this one, but it's on my list.  You can also learn more about Bronson Alcott and www.alcott.net.

Source:  http://www.amazon.com/
Louisa May Alcott was a feminist as well as an abolitionist.  She died on March 6, 1888, and is buried in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.

Louisa May Alcott Grave Site
Source:  www.travelpod.com

Beth from Little Women...
"Love is the only thing we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy."

No comments:

Post a Comment