Saturday, June 9, 2012

My Thoughts On "Single Girl Summer"

Source:  Goodreads



Single Girl Summer is a book about three very different but very independent women.  Meg is newly divorced and trying to find her way.  Dawn is impatiently waiting for her "perfect" boyfriend to propose, and Button is too scared to love or trust anyone.  They're all intent on facing their battles alone, but they soon discover that they just might need each other.

I liked this book, and I liked the characters.  I have to say that I didn't relate to them at all though.  They were definitely modern career women from the city, while I'm an old-fashioned,  conservative, stay at home wife and mom from the country.   My life couldn't be more different from theirs.  I didn't always agree with what they did and said, but I really enjoyed the story.  I believe that's what reading should be about.  What fun is it to always read about people just like you?

 I especially liked reading about Button's growth over the span of the book, and one of my favorite parts was reading about all their "single girl summer outings" in and around the city of Chicago.

If you are a fan of Chic-lit, I think you'll enjoy this book.

4 comments:

  1. I just started reading this book along with Emily Giffin's "Heart of the Matter". They are two very different books. I am not sure whether I am going to like Single Girl Summer or not. I am loving Emily Giffin's though.
    I read "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and really liked it a lot. By the way, I am presenting you with a "Booker Award". Go to http://www.curlingupwithagoodbook.com/ to see the rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda! Can't wait to hear what you think about Single Girl Summer

      Delete
  2. Hi, I'm the author of Single Girl Summer. I googled SGS and found your blog review. Thanks for your insight. I really appreciate that even though you don't relate to the characters, you were still able to enjoy a well-written story and enjoy learning "something new". Each character represents a different type of relationship and relationship perspective. You hit the nail on the head in that readers won't agree with everything they say and/or do, but my goal was that the characters and the book serve as catalysts for relationship conversations. I also really appreciate you putting SGS in the same category as "Bitter is the New Black" and "Shopaholic" which are two of my favorite books by two of my favorite authors. Thanks for taking time to read SGS and write a review. I would love if you also posted your review on my SGS Amazon page. Thank you and have a wonderful day. - Deanna Burrell :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog! I am so honored that you would comment on my post about your book. Thank you!!!

      Delete