Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My Thoughts On "Wallflower In Bloom"

Source:  Goodreads


Summary from the Kindle Edition...
Deirdre Griffin has a great life; it's just not her own.  She's the around-the-clock personal assistant to her charismatic, high-maintenance, New Age guru brother, Tag.  As the family wallflower, her only worth seems to be as gatekeeper to Tag at his New England seaside compound.
Then Deirdre's sometime boyfriend informs her that he is marrying another woman, who just happens to be having the baby he told Deirdre he never wanted.  While drowning her sorrows in Tag's expensive vodka, Deirdre decides to use his massive online following to get herself voted on as a last-minute Dancing with the Stars replacement.  It'll get her back in shape, mentally and physically.  It might even get her a life of her own.  Deirdre's fifteen minutes of fame have begun.
Irresistible and offbeat, Wallflower in Bloom is an original and deeply satisfying story of having the courage to take a leap into the spotlight, not matter where you land.



I have to start out by saying that I've been looking forward to reading this one for a while.  I love the cover...it's just pretty.  And I'm happy to say the book didn't disappoint.  I really enjoyed it.

I love character driven books.  If I fall in love with the characters most likely I'll love the book.  Wallflower in Bloom is definitely character driven.  Deirdre is so funny and and easy to relate to, and I found her sarcasm hilarious.  More than that though, Deirdre is a conflicted, complicated woman who deals with (not always gracefully) a lot of the same issues many women deal with...weight, depression, men, family, work.  Who among us women hasn't had to deal with issues in at least on of these areas?  And somehow it makes us feel better knowing there are others out there who are going through what we are...even if it is a fictional character.

If you are a fan of chic-lit or women's fiction, I know you'll like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment