Thursday, August 18, 2011

The 3rd Shelf And It's All About Women

I'm still doing book inventory and I've made it to the third shelf of my book shelf, and it's devoted to women authors only.  I haven't read all of these books, so I'll put an asterisk in front of the books I've read.

*Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs
A Jury of Her Peers: Celebrating American Women Writers from Anne Bradstreet to Annie Proulx
---By Elaine Showalter
*The Ghost in the Little House: A Life of Rose Wilder Lane by William Holtz
*Jane Austen: The Complete Novels
*Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
*Three Complete Books:  The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Little Lord Fauntleroy
Moods by Louisa May Alcott
Work: A Story of Experience by Louisa May Alcott
*Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
*Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
*Jo's Boy's by Louisa May Alcott
*Civil War Hospital Sketches by Louisa May Alcott
*An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott
*Under the Lilacs by Louisa May Alcott
*Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
*A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
*Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
*Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
*Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
*New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
*Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
*Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Sister's Choice by Emilie Richards
---I'm very interested in this one, and I'll be reading it soon.  Here's the Goodreads synopsis...
" Kendra and Jamie were never storybook sisters. But after a long estrangement, Jamie has offered Kendra and her husband their ultimate dream—a child of their own.
Despite some lingering misgivings about her once-wayward younger sister, Kendra agrees, and Jamie, a promising architect and single mother, becomes a gestational surrogate for Kendra and Isaac. In addition to this amazing gift of life, Jamie designs a house for the couple on Isaac's ancestral property along the Shenandoah River. She hopes Kendra will finally see the woman she has become.
But when a medical crisis threatens Jamie's health and her budding relationship with Kendra's builder, the enigmatic Cash Rosslyn, Jamie learns that the most difficult choice in her life is still ahead, and its cost may be beyond calculation."

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
*The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
*Oh My Stars by Lorna Landvik
Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley
*Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
*My Story by Marilyn Monroe

So there are the books on shelf number three, 33 books in all.

Here are some quotes by some of the women listed in today's post...

"I want to do something splendid…
Something heroic or wonderful that won’t be forgotten after I’m dead…
I think I shall write books."
Louisa May Alcott
(Source:  www.goodreads.com)

Louisa May Alcott
11/29/1832-3/6/1888
Source:  www.goodreads.com

___________________________________


"Lock up your libraries if you like, but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
Virginia Woolf (A Room of One's Own (Bloomsbury Classic))
(Source:  www.goodreads.com)

Virginia Woolf
1/25/1882-3/28/1941
Source:  www.goodreads.com
__________________________________________


"Reader, did you ever hate? I hope not. I never did but once; and I trust I never shall again. Somebody has called it "the atmosphere of hell"; and I believe it is so."
Harriet Jacobs (Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl)
(Source:  www.goodreads.com)

Harriet Jacobs
1/1/1813-3/7/1897
Source:  www.goodreads.com
______________________________________
 
 
"I am satisfied that if a book is a good one, it is so whatever the sex of the author may be. All novels are or should be written for both men and women to read, and I am at a loss to conceive how a man should permit himself to write anything that would be really disgraceful to a woman, or why a woman should be censured for writing anything that would be proper and becoming for a man."
Anne Brontë (The Tenant of Wildfell Hall)
(Source:  www.goodreads.com)
 
Anne Bronte
1/17/1820-5/28/1849
Source:  www.goodreads.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment