Monday, August 15, 2011

Ten Books I Thought I'd Never Read: My Story by Marilyn Monroe

In the original post "Ten Books I Thought I'd Never Read" I discussed how I was trying to broaden my reading horizons, and be a little less of a book snob.  I decided to branch out and read genres that I would not normally be drawn to.  I have read books in the romance, western, and mystery genres and really liked them all.  I am still reading Teeth of the Tiger which is in the military genre, but in the meantime, I've finished another book from a genre I don't normally read...celebrity memoir.

The book I chose for celebrity memoir is, My Story by Marilyn Monroe.



Source:  www.barnesandnoble.com


I am not surprised that I really, really liked this book.  First of all it had wonderful photos of Marilyn from the Milton H. Greene Archives.  Secondly it shows a side of Marilyn Monroe that I never knew existed.   She was not just a dumb, blond, bimbo that slept her way to the top...quite the contrary actually.  She overcame a horrific childhood and sacrificed in ways that most people would never dream of, but most of all she worked extremely hard.

It's not hard to read.  It is straight forward and I almost felt as if I was reading some one's diary.  It is written in the way Marilyn must have spoke as she tells about her relationships and "feuds" in Hollywood.  Lots of famous names are mentioned.  It took me a few hours to read it. If you like to read biographies I highly recommend this one.  If you are a Marilyn fan it's a must read.

 "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
Marilyn Monroe
(Source:  www.goodreads.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment