Saturday, January 14, 2012

What I Cooked Tonight...

I used my Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible again this weekend.  I'm still loving this great Christmas gift from my daughter.


Source:  Goodreads



I chose to try the recipe from page 162.






SUNDAY BAKED CHICKEN


4 T (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp paprika
1 whole chicken (3 1/2 pounds), rinsed and patted dry
2 tsp salt
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
4 cloves garlic, unpeeled

1.  Preheat the oven to 375.
2.  In a bowl, mash together the butter, 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper, the thyme, and the paprika.  Sprinkle the chicken inside and out with the salt and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.  Rub the chicken all over with the butter mixture, spreading it as evenly as possible so the chicken will brown evenly.
3.  Scatter the potatoes, carrots, and garlic in the bottom of a large roasting pan.  Top the vegetables with a roasting rack.  Place the chicken on the rack, breast side up.  Roast, stirring the vegetables occasionally, until the chicken is golden, the thigh juices run clear when pierced with a knife, or the temperature registers 180 degrees F in the thigh, about 1 1/2 hours.
4.  Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes before carving.  Serve with the vegetables and pan juices.
(Recipe Source:  Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible)


Here's the results...


Right out of the oven
Source:  My Photo



Source:  My Photo



This recipe was a big hit!  My husband and my daughter both loved this meal.  It was really easy to do.  There's just a little prep work with the chicken.  My husband especially liked the veggies.  I will absolutely make this again, and maybe try it with different vegetables.

My daughter and I also made a cake today...Devil's Food cake with chocolate icing.


Source:  My Photo



It's not perfect, but my daughter and I made it together.  It was delicious, and my daughter was so excited to serve it to her Daddy with a big glass of cold milk.

So needless to say I'm very proud of it :)


2 comments: