Friday, February 10, 2012

My Thoughts On Like Water For Chocolate

Source:  Goodreads



From Goodreads...
"Earthy, magical, and utterly charming this tale of family life in turn-of-the-century Mexico became a best selling phenomenon with it's winning blend of poignant romance and bittersweet wit."


_____________________________________________________ 


When I picked up this book I really didn't know anything about it.  I heard good things, and since I'm reading romance this month I thought I'd give it a try.  I was really surprised by what I found.

As you might expect there is "love" in this book, but I think food played just as important a roll.  There were lots of recipes and directions for preparing the meals.  I really enjoyed this about the book.  As a wife and mom who cooks most every night for my family, I can certainly understand how food can be used to show love.  I feel really great when I cook a meal that I know is good for my family and tastes good too.  I just want them to know that I care enough to put forth the extra effort.

But for all the love and good food in the book, there is just as much tragedy and darkness in this book.  Most of the darkness is thanks to the main character, Tita's, mother.  She was an evil woman!

If you are looking for a light, airy, romance...this book is not for you.  If you are looking for a truly interesting book with a little bit of everything...love, romance, food, magic, pain, tragedy, jealousy, scandal...then I'd say give Like Water for Chocolate a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment