Friday, September 16, 2011

BBAW 2011: The Final Day's Topic

BBAW 2011 - Graphic (square, 200px wide)


Today’s TopicThe world of blogging is continually changing. Share 3 things you feel are essential tried and true practices for every blogger and 1-3 new trends or tools you’ve adapted recently or would like to in the future.


_______________________________________


I am very new to blogging.  I started my blog in June of this year, and I am learning something new everyday.  There are however a few things I've learned that I know are essential to my blog, and I try to practice every day.

1.  Be Yourself---There are times when I question the content of my blog.   I visit lots of other blogs, and I find myself saying..."I wish I could write that well!  or  "I wish I had something more exciting to write about!"  or  "I need to read more serious smarter books!".  But then I realize that the best thing I can do is be myself.  Yes, I live in a small town.  Yes, I am a wife and mom.  Yes, I live a busy, simple, and quiet life, and I love it.  I would not trade lives with anyone in the world, and the things that I find ordinary about my life, the books I read, or the things I write may be the exact things that someone else finds so interesting.

2.  Visit and Comment On Other Blogs...Visiting and commenting on other blogs is one of the most important things I feel I can do as a blogger.  It's how I learn, and it's a good way to grow my blog.  Being a part of and finding a place in the blogging community is very important to me, and it's something I work on every day.

3.  Be Honest...I knew from the beginning I was going to be completely honest on my blog.  If I like a book I will tell you, but if I don't I''ll tell you that too.  If I'm having trouble finishing a book or if a book is a struggle for me to read I'm going to be honest about it.  I think most people can spot fakeness and lies a mile away, and I'm just not going to do it.  Honesty is the way to go!



I'm always finding new tools and trends that I'd like to add to my blog.  The latest tool I've added to my blog is the "You Might Also Like" feature at the end of each post.  I think it will greatly increase my page views.  I know when I visit a blog I always look at atleast one of the posts listed there.

It's the last day of BBAW, and I've really enjoyed the daily topics.  I've had lots of new visitors to my blog, and I've found so many new blogs to enjoy.

___________________________________________


“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 comments:

  1. Great tips. I agree with them all. Especially be yourself. One of my tips too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great response!

    I feel the same way sometimes, but remember every blogger is different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can get hard not to compare yourself to other bloggers and your content/style/whatever to theirs, especially when you're constantly reading other blogs. I think "be yourself" is such important advice, and something to keep in mind no matter where you are in your blogging "career."

    As for "be honest," that's one I struggled with when I started blogging. I'm certainly not going to tell you I loved a book when I didn't, but I had trouble figuring out how to write a negative review that didn't feel mean and petty. I've worked on it and feel much better being honest now that I can do it in what I feel is a more professional way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenasledgeblog.com---Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, and I agree...I think be yourself is the most important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Q.---Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin---I agree that the honesty part can be a bit hard when it comes to a book I don't like. It's such an accomplishment to finish a book, and I definitely don't ever want to be mean. Thanks for the awesome comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be yourself is great advice, as is honesty, altho if I don't like a book I don't review it (life's too short) there's a notice on my blog stating this, because I've come to the conclusion, that if a book & I do not bond, I don't carry on with it as it's a waste of time, I continue this opinion on my blog, If I can't stand a book, why waste even more time on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. parrish lantern...You make a good point, and I wish I could just stop a book if I'm not in love with it. I'd probably read more books that way! I don't know why, but once I start a book I want to finish...good or bad. I also cannot stand to read more than one book at a time. I know a lot of people do (including my 8 year old daughter), but I just don't. Thanks you so much for stopping by and commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete