Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Thomas Jefferson's Library

I love Thomas Jefferson's historic home, Monticello, and I often go check out their website and online catalog (I have a wish list a mile long).  When I visited Monticello in Charlottesville, Virginia with my family a couple years ago the library was one of my favorite rooms.  Check out an article about Jefferson's library on Monticello's website HERE.



Library at Monticello
Source:  www.monticello.org



Jefferson Bookstand
Source:  www.monticellocatalog.org



Among the many ingenious devices found in Jefferson's Cabinet, this one perhaps most clearly suggests Jefferson's passion for knowledge. One can imagine him turning the stand, completely engrossed, consulting five books at once to find the answer to a burning question. Our bookstand is a line-by-line reproduction of the original, which was made in the joinery at Monticello, probably from Jefferson's own design. It's great for cross-checking information from several sources or just keeping reference books and current reading handy. Made of solid mahogany with a soft, hand-polished finish, the rotating stand holds five books at adjustable angles on rests that fold down to form a 12" cube.  (Source:  www.monticellocatalog.org)


___________________________________________


I've had some very busy days lately with more to come over the next couple weeks.  My progress on The Southern Belles of Honeysuckle Way is slower than I'd like, but I am reading every day.  That's really all I can ask of myself.  Hoping to finish it tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post! That book stand is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs.Q! I'd love to have that bookstand in my library. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete