Saturday, September 10, 2011

Two Sisters Talk Books

My sister came over last night, and we were looking around for some new books to read.  We looked through all the blogs I follow, and we did a lot of looking on Goodreads.  We both came up with a decent sized list.  Here are a few that we found and are looking forward to reading in the  near future.

____________________________________________


The Book Thief by Markus Zusak seems to be on everyone's list.  I think my sister will be reading this one soon.


Source:  http://www.goodreads.com/


Goodreads Summary...
It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Narrated by Death, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a young foster girl living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she discovers something she can't resist- books. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever they are to be found.
With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids, as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.


_______________________________________

Jennifer Donnelly books seem to be popping up everywhere as well, and these really interest me.  I think the covers are absolutely beautiful!


Source:  http://www.goodreads.com/



Source:  http://www.goodreads.com/



Source:  http://www.goodreads.com/

______________________________________


This last book, The Cellist of Sarajevo, I learned about over at Curling Up With a Good Book.  She did a great review and it sounds like something I'd really like to read.



Source:  http://www.goodreads.com/

Goodreads Summary...
In a city ravaged by war, a musician plays his cello for twenty-two days at the site of a mortar attack, in memory of the fallen. Among the strangers drawn into the orbit of his music are a young father in search of water for his family, an older man in search of the humanity he once knew, and a young woman, a sniper, who will decide the fate of the cellist—and the kind of person she wants to be.

___________________________________________


Hope you enjoyed this list and maybe found something you'd like to read as well!  Have you read any of these books?  What did you think?

7 comments:

  1. My sisters don't read the same type of books I read but some of my books I pass on to my mom. It is kind of fun to discuss some of the with her. All of these books are on my tbr list. They all seem to get very good reviews for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alison! My sister is my best book buddy...thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Beth! My sister and I have similar reading interests but we do differ. We just happen to overlap enough that we can share books. Thanks so much for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually just started The Book Thief last night. Of course you know that since we were at the library together. I think it's going to be a weird one, but interesting. Thanks for telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to here what you think about this one, and I'm excited to read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to here what you think about this one, and I'm excited to read it myself.

    ReplyDelete