Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Campeachy Chair In My Library

Reading Hissy Fit which is heavy on interior design, has made me really think about the first room I want to tackle in my own remodel.  We have a down stairs room that was my daughter's play room that is now empty except for the piano and my book shelf.  This room is going to be my library.

And in my library I would love to have two of these Campeachy Chairs I found at Monticello.org's Online Catalog.  I think this chair is absolutely beautiful and looks so comfy.  I think the wide arm rests would be perfect for reading.


Campeachy Chair
Source:  Monticello.org


It took Thomas Jefferson many letters and more than ten years to get a Campeachy chair sent from New Orleans. (The first one was lost in a shipwreck.) Once he finally received his chair in 1819, he had several copies made. This reproduction is based on a copy crafted by plantation joiner John Hemings, which is now on display in Monticello's parlor. Made of mahogany, it has the same X-shaped base, curvy arms and distinctive top rail. What makes the Campeachy chair so wonderfully comfortable is the sling seat of reinforced leather. The mahogany for the original chairs made in New Orleans came from the Mexican province of Campeche, hence the curious name. 39"h x 27"w x 24"d. Made to order in the U.S.A. from imported wood.  (Source:  Monticello.org)

6 comments:

  1. I'm such a geek, and I could see myself curled up in that chair for hours, if not days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the chair. A good reading chair should never be underestimated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa! I totally agree...that chair is meant for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that chair. It's very pretty. I wouldn't mind having one too. It would fit nicely in my imaginary library! I have a dream library in my head and one day I will have it!!!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth...When you do I'm going to come and go through your shelves! You know me...borrow, borrow, borrow!

    ReplyDelete