Monday, September 5, 2011

A Cherry Tree And Two Houses

As you know I'm reading My Summer of Southern Discomfort which is set in Macon, Georgia as part of the "Southern Belle Reading Challenge" I'm participating in.  I haven't finished the book yet, but I came across some landmarks in the first few chapters that I was interesting in looking up.  Here's what I found out...


Yoshino Cherry Tree


Cherry Blossom Festival in Macon, GA
Source:  www.cherryblossom.com


"Each March, Macon becomes a pink cotton-spun paradise of delight as over 300,000 Yoshino cherry trees bloom in all their glory. And for 10 days, festival-lovers are treated to one of the most extravagant displays of springtime color in the nation as they visit the town referred to by Congressional Records as the Cherry Blossom Capital of the World."
(Source:  www.cherryblossom.com)



Source:  www.arborday.org


The tree that made the Macon Cherry Blossom Festival famous. Fragrant, white-pink flowers; oriental branching pattern; glossy bark; dark-green leaves. Likes full sun, well-drained soil. Grows to 40' to 50'.
(Source:  www.arborday.org)

_________________________________________________


Hay House



Source:  www.georgiatrust.org


One of Georgia’s most distinguished structures, the Johnston-Felton-Hay House in Macon was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1974. It was built from 1855 to 1859 in the Italian Renaissance Revival style, a marked contrast to the more restrained Greek Revival architecture of the antebellum period.
(Source:  www.georgiatrust.org)


__________________________________________________


Woodruff House


Source:  http://www.50plusdc.com/html/body_macon.html

Adjacent to the School of Law is a Greek Revival mansion built in 1836 for a railroad financier and banker. It was designed and built by Elam Alexander, a  local building contractor, architect, business man and philanthropist. The house was once owned by Colonel Joseph Bond, one of the South's wealthiest cotton planters. In 1887 a 16th birthday ball was held in the house for Winnie Davis, daughter of former Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Originally known as Overlook Mansion, it was acquired by Mercer University in 1978 and renamed Woodruff House. The University uses the house for banquets,  receptions and alumni events. It is open to the public only during the Cherry Blossom Festival in March, the run up to Christmas and for special events.



2 comments:

  1. Excellent post! By the way, I took down my last post (about the behavior I witnessed with the students), because I decided to address it personally with the dean of their college (I did it nicely and she was grateful). Still, you know how people are, so I took down the post to prevent any issues in case someone happened to find it. Thanks for commenting, though, and I totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susie! Good for you, and I totally understand taking it down.

    ReplyDelete