Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Books To Return And Desperate For More

My sister and I took the kiddos to the library after school yesterday.  My daughter had books to return and was desperate for more, so we went to the library where she loaded up her red library book bag with new books while I looked for more "Southern Belle Challenge" books.


I still have Fried Green Tomatoes (I will finish it tonight!) and Hissy Fit, so I only checked out two.




Source:  http://www.goodreads.com/



Source:  http://www.goodreads.com/



While I was there I picked up a copy of Book Page where I found lots of great information on lots of books.


Source:  http://www.bookpage.com/


Book Page also has an online edition that you can visit by clicking HERE.  I think the most interesting book I found inside is The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta.  I'm very interested in this one.



Source:  http://www.goodreads.com/



Goodreads Summary
What if—whoosh, right now, with no explanation—a number of us simply vanished?  Would some of us collapse? Would others of us go on, one foot in front of the other, as we did before the world turned upside down?
That’s what the bewildered citizens of Mapleton, who lost many of their neighbors, friends and lovers in the event known as the Sudden Departure, have to figure out. Because nothing has been the same since it happened—not marriages, not friendships, not even the relationships between parents and children. 
Kevin Garvey, Mapleton’s new mayor, wants to speed up the healing process, to bring a sense of renewed hope and purpose to his traumatized community. Kevin’s own family has fallen apart in the wake of the disaster: his wife, Laurie, has left to join the Guilty Remnant, a homegrown cult whose members take a vow of silence; his son, Tom, is gone, too, dropping out of college to follow a sketchy prophet named Holy Wayne.  Only Kevin’s teenaged daughter, Jill, remains, and she’s definitely not the sweet “A” student she used to be.  Kevin wants to help her, but he’s distracted by his growing relationship with Nora Durst, a woman who lost her entire family on October 14th and is still reeling from the tragedy, even as she struggles to move beyond it and make a new start.
With heart, intelligence and a rare ability to illuminate the struggles inherent in ordinary lives, Tom Perrotta has written a startling, thought-provoking novel about love, connection and loss.

5 comments:

  1. Amy, What is the "Southern Belle Challenge"? I have been looking for some good books based in the South...is there a list you are choosing from or are you making it up as you go? How fun!

    Also, I saw you mentioned Jennifer Donnelly's novels. I haven't read "The Tea Rose" yet, but I purchased it shortly after I read "Revolution," one of her YA novels. I have heard good things about the "Rose" books, so I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susie! I found the Southern Belle Reading Challenge at the blog, Curling Up With a Good Book. It's a reading challenge for the month of September where you read books set in the South. She has a list posted on her blog with LOTS of "southern" books. I think if you click the Southern Belle Challenge button on my blog it will take you to her post about the challenge. It's been really fun!

    I've never read anything by Jennifer Donnelly, but I've been reading great things about her books all over the place. So I'm going to try to read the "Rose" books soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, The Leftovers caught my eye too. We might have to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth...maybe thats's the book we need to read together.

    ReplyDelete