Friday, September 16, 2011

Book # 3 For the Southern Belle Challenge: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Source:  www.goodreads.com
395 pages

Goodreads Summary
Here is a folksy and funny, endearing and affecting, southern-fried tale about two very special friendships. In a small town near Birmingham sits the Whistle Shop Cafe, a place alive with the hungry, the heartbroken, the righteous and the garrulous. The cafe is owned by sweet, patient Ruth, and by Idgie, irresistibly big-hearted and big-mouthed. Their story is remembered, years later, in the Rose Terrace Nursing Home. As elderly Cleo Threadgoode chats with her visitor—the over-stuffed, overwrought, menopausal Evelyn Couch—she casts a hypnotic narrative spell: honeysuckle vines and custard pies; births, deaths and marriages; sorrow and laughter; an occasional murder—and even the recipe for fried green tomatoes. And as the past reaches into the present, the Whistle Sop Cafe touches the one thing missing from her existence: life.



Fannie Flagg
Source:  Southern Living

___________________________________________


I have been meaning to read this book for years...probably since I watched and loved the movie years ago.  My sister read it a while ago, and she, knowing my taste in books, said I should definitely read it.  She actually did a guest blog on it back in June.  You should go back and read her post if you have the time.  It's really good.  Finish mine first thought :)

As for my thoughts on the book...She was right.  I really really liked this book, and oh how different it is than the movie.  My favorite character was sweet Mrs. Threadgoode.  Her simple honest way of telling her life story to poor discouraged Evelyn won my heart early in the book, and although I liked Idgie, I found myself at times getting aggravated with her.  What I did admire so much about Idgie was her acceptance of everyone...white, black, male, female, rich or hobo...she treated everyone the same, and she understood that everyone has problems and makes mistakes in life.  Another of my favorite characters is Smokey Lonesome simply because I'm a sucker for undying love.  It gets me every time.

I liked how the story was told in short little snippets.  It really gives you the feel of someone telling you their story as the memories flood in, not necessarily in chronological order.  There were parts of the book that were from "The Weems Weekly: Whistlestop, Alabama's Weekly Bulletin" written by Dot Weems.  I always found these very entertaining, and so indicative of small town life.  I think it was unique way to convey information from a different point of view.

This is book number three for the Southern Belle Reading Challenge which I am participating in for the month of September.  This challenge is hosted by Brenda Gail over at Curling Up With a Good Book.  My goal for this challenge is four books.  It's looking like I may be able to do even more than that.  It's been really fun!

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book and the movie. I bought a used copy of the book since mine was borrowed and never returned. Fannie Flagg is the ultimate southern belle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth! The copy I read was from the library, and I used to have the movie on VHS, but I got rid of it. I'd like to have both though...I may look into getting them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to read Fannie Flagg's Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man in high school, and though I barely remember the book, I do recall enjoying it. I've been meaning to read this one for years. It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin...Fried Green Tomatoes is the only book I've read by Fannnie Flagg. I feel like I'll probably read more though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I don't know how far away you are but you can visit the Whistle Stop cafe in Birmingham. It is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not very close, but we are going through Alabama later this year. May try to check it out!

    ReplyDelete